Tuesday, November 30, 2004

U2 Album Review

I should probably preface this by saying that U2 is my favorite band. Hands down, without a doubt, not even a second thought: I prefer them to any other band I have ever heard. Their music has become such a huge part of my life. And, believe it or not, I have learned a little about how to better lead worship by watching them perform. (That is a whole other article I will write someday.) They may be the only band that I would blog an album review for. Just setting the context for this review…

The new album’s name is How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. At first glance, you may wonder about the title… but I recently heard Michael W. Smith describe a conversation he had with U2’s lead singer: Bono. Evidently, Bono asked Michael if he knew how to dismantle an atomic bomb. Michael had no idea and told Bono so. Bono responded by saying… “With love… you dismantle it with love.” Cheesy? Yes. True? Yes. Much of the album is about love: In fact, in several songs, Bono explores the idea that he would rather have true, lasting love… than a hot romance. Pretty insightful for a silly rock star. Another one of the big themes of the album seems to be an awareness of aging and the desire to prepare the soul to meet God. There are several references to this.

I first heard the album a few weeks ago when it was being streamed live from a radio station in Chicago. At first, I didn’t care for it at all. But, I felt that way about the last album too. It takes me about four or five listens to really understand how the songs are structured and what the lyrics mean. Each time I have listened to the album, I have warmed more and more to most of the songs. It is a solid album... however, that said, my favorite U2 album continues to be Achtung Baby. Anyway… here is a song by song review of the album.

1) Vertigo: One of my favorite tunes on the album. It is catchy and very singable. No doubt that if you’ve watched any amount of TV this fall you’ve heard this on the I-Pod commercial. This really sounds like some of their earlier stuff. A very fun song!

2) Miracle Drug: This is another epic from U2. The chorus just rings: “The songs are in your eyes, I can see them when you smile.” My take on the song is that the Miracle Drug is love, and that they won't be giving up on love anytime soon. The Edge (U2's guitar player) absolutely shines throughout the duration of the song. Another one of my favorites on the album.

3) Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own: This song seems to deal with two things: Bono dealing with the death of his dad… and Bono dealing with the type of relationship he had with his dad. The guitar just rings… and the chorus in falsetto drips with emotion: “It’s you when I look in the mirror, it’s you when I don’t pick up the phone… sometimes you can’t make it on your own.” U2 deals with heartache and hurt in the same vein as the song “With or Without You.” One word for this song: Authenticity. Let's see Britney Spears actually sing something like this. My vote for the best song on the album. (At least, right now)

4) Love and Peace Or Else: Honestly… one of my least favorite tracks on the album. It’s a ‘rockin’ song that just sounds old and tired. Almost like they stole a chord progression from seventies rock… and just went with it. Don’t have much else to say about this song.

5) City of Blinding Lights: One of the things that I have liked about U2 in the past is that they stay away from blatant love songs. If they do a love song, it is disguised as something else. This might be one of their more blatant love songs… but it is tastefully done. Once again… the guitars just soar, along with the keyboard melody line. This is a classic example of how U2 is able to come up with music that is timeless. This is a song that you’ll be able to play ten years from now and it will still sound as fresh as it does now.

6) All Because of You: This is the closest song to Vertigo on the album… with better lyrics, but not near as singable. Or, I should say… the chorus just isn’t as interesting to sing as Vertigo… but the rest of the song is pretty well written. Here’s my personal take on the song: Bono is singing to God saying: “All because of you, I am… you heard me in my tune, when I just heard confusion.”

7) A Man and a Woman: When I first heard this song… I really didn’t care for it at all. It has since grown on me. I would never put it on any ‘best of’ U2 CD’s… but I love the lyrics of the chorus: “I could never take a chance of losing love to find romance.” It’s kind of a mysterious sounding song… much different than some of bigger soaring songs that U2 is so good at putting out. But sometimes a change of pace is good.

8) Crumbs from Your Table: Here’s the chorus: “You speak of signs and wonders, but I need something other. I would believe if I was able, but I’m waiting for the crumbs from your table.” I’m wondering if it’s Bono dialoguing with God… inferring that he’s not interested in big miracles… he’s just wants something small like a crumb from God’s table. Bono is great at writing songs that King David might have sang: Imploring God to show Himself in a world that sometimes appears to be devoid of His presence. I appreciate the honesty. That is what separates U2 from mainstream Christian bands.

***Quick comment on 12-6-04: While I think the above is one legitimate take on this song... another take is that the 'Crumbs' are referring to America and other weathy countries and Bono is telling us that even our Crumbs would help some of the poorer nations of the world. (He is a huge activist for the AIDS epidemic in Africa and the drop the dept campaign.) Anyway... I just wanted to throw that in.

9) One Step Closer: This is kind of a sad song to me. Seems like Bono is realizing that he is getting older… and that his consolation is that he is getting closer to knowing if what he believed his whole life is true. It is a sobering song… like he’s starting to think about wrapping up his life.

10) Original of the Species: This is a great song. Soaring chorus. Great lyrics. It’s so easy to just get wrapped up in the emotion of the song. It’s almost like Bono is singing to one of his kids: “Baby slow down… the end is not as fun as the start… please stay a child somewhere in your heart.” Then he goes on to sing: “You are the first one of your kind.” A song of encouragement and hope to whoever he happens to be singing to.

11) Yahweh: Another thing that U2 is known for… singing a song to God or about God at the end of their album: They have done it on their last two albums… and this one is no different. This reminds me of a contemporary version of “I Surrender All.” Bono sings: “Take these hands and teach them what to carry… take this heart and make it break.” And chorus rings out: “Yahweh…still I’m waiting for the dawn.”


Coming up next week: I have no idea yet. Sorry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Josh,

Great writing on the album. To be honest with you, I think it is some of their best, most honest work in years. This album seems to be the antitheses of "Pop" both musically and lyrically. I love "Miracle Drug" and "Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own" the best. I loved what you said about "One Step Closer" being about facing the end and knowing whether or not you were right about what you believed. I hadn't stopped to really listen to the words of that one yet, now I like it even more.

Your old college roomie: blum