Tuesday, January 01, 2008

2007 Reading List

Well, as has become a tradition for me since last year... here is a list of all the books that I finished in 2007. I didn't finish near as many this year as last year... and honestly... I didn't read near as much this year as last. There are various reasons for this... but oh well. Here's what I read:

Professional Reading

1. Velvet Elvis (Rob Bell) 194 Pages
2. Experiencing God (Blackaby & King) 288 Pages
3. Prayer (Richard Foster) 275 Pages
4. Fresh Power (Jim Cymbala) 204 Pages
5. The Emerging Church (Dan Kimball) 266 Pages
6. Roaring Lambs (Bob Briner) 202 Pages
7. People Just Like Us (Norman G. Wilson) 94 Pages
8. The Servant (James C. Hunter) 187 Pages
9. The Story of Christianity Volume 1 (Justo Gonzalez) 429 Pages
10. Natural Church Development (Christian A. Schwarz) 128 Pages
11. Total Quality Life (Stan Toler) 160 Pages
12. Practical Guide for Pastoral Ministry (Stan Toler) 303 Pages
13. Visioneering (Andy Stanley) 272 Pages
14. Simple Church (Thom Rainer & Eric Geiger) 257 Pages
15. Courageous Leadership (Bill Hybels) 253 Pages

Personal Reading

1. Star Wars: The Joiner King (Troy Denning) 443 Pages
2. The Ezekiel Option (Joel Rosenberg) 415 Pages
3. Star Wars: The Unseen Queen (Troy Denning) 333 Pages
4. Act of Treason (Vince Flynn) 415 Pages
5. Star Wars: The Swarm War (Troy Denning) 357 Pages
6. U2 by U2 (U2 and Neil McCormick) 345 Pages
7. Star Wars: Betrayal (Aaron Allston) 387 Pages
8. Report From Ground Zero (Dennis Smith) 366 Pages
9. Star Wars: Bloodlines (Karen Traviss) 380 Pages
10. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 759 Pages
11. Star Wars: Tempest (Troy Denning) 392 Pages
12. The Gashouse Gang (John Heidenry) 321 Pages
13. Star Wars: Exile (Aaron Allston) 337 Pages
14. Ice Hunt (James Rollins) 397 Pages


29 Books 9,159 Total Pages


Top Three: Professional (No particular order)
-Prayer (Richard Foster)
-The Story of Christianity Volume 1 (Justo Gonzalez)
-Simple Church (Thom Rainer & Eric Geiger)

Top Three: Personal (No particular order)
-Act of Treason (Vince Flynn)
-U2 by U2 (U2 and Neil McCormick)
-Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (J.K. Rowling)


Happy reading in 2008!

10 comments:

The VM Family said...

We read this book list idea of yours last year and Dave loved it so he recorded his books and pages this year also. He too may do a blog about it-- keep your eyes open and thanks for a great idea!

Josh H said...

Sweet! Can't wait to see it!
Take care!

Jeannie said...

ooh, i love book lists. i liked velvet elvis...did you read his latest - i'm too embarrassed to write the title here, but i liked the elvis book better.

i gotta post my list sometime, too. books help me breathe...

Scott D. Hendricks said...

Josh, there are some great titles on your list from this year, many book that have been recommended to me either in class or by friends. I hope you won't take offense if I challenge you to add some theological classics by the church fathers (protestants included) this coming year. I've been reading John Wesley for the past week, and it's been amazing, very convicting. Most ancient Christians literature you can find free on the internet. For instance, all of John Wesley's sermons are available online. You can find church fathers, in old translation, at www.newadvent.org.

Scott D. Hendricks said...

oops, I forgot!

I hope you had a very merry Christmas, and pray you have a peaceful, wholesome new year full of God's abundant life. Peace and love to you.

Josh H said...

Jeannie... I am about halfway through "Sex God." (hehe) I liked Velvet Elvis much better than this one so far. I guess I expected something totally different when I started reading it.

Scott... no offense taken. I am in favor of reading the classics and actual do quite a bit. The problem is that they are a bit harder to document on a list like this. But I'll try to give you a run-down of what I've been reading:

I visit Wesley's Works often. I have been working through Augustine's Confessions and chewing very slowly on City of God.

I have been reading Jonathon Hill's 'The History of Christian Thought' which has given me a good primer on the early church fathers. I also signed up for a Commentary Series through IVP that uses just Early Church writings for the commentary on scripture. I am working through... literally verse by verse... the book of Romans right now.

I have also been digging a devotional book that is broken out into 52 weeks... and it's all early church father material. There is an invocation and benediction in each chapter that contains ancient prayers... which I absolutely devour.

Thanks for the website... here are a few more to check out:

http://www.ccel.org/index/classics.html

and

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/

Honestly, the early stuff is my favorite stuff to read and think on... but much of it is not found neatly in one book... so much of that doesn't get counted. Same thing with magazines... I probably read through 20 mags a year... but to list them all starts to get cumbersome. I LOVE the sister magazine to Christianity Today called Christian History and Biography. The last magazine was about the Gnostics... very interesting.

Anyhoo... thanks for your comments and Happy New Year to you as well.

Scott D. Hendricks said...

I didn't really doubt that you had been reading the classics. Glad to hear . . . especially that it's your favorite stuff. I love how the fathers (I don't really read any mothers, yet) "make my soul sing," as Dr. Chris Bounds says.

Anonymous said...

How about Darwin's Origin of Species, Simon Singh's Big Bang or Carl Sagan's Cosmos? Anyone read that? Or is it only fiction here?

Josh H said...

Buku... you got me. :)
I am a sheltered reader. I've heard about some of those titles, but never read them.

Josh H said...

But come on! Don't I get any credit for reading Harry Potter?