Saturday, February 09, 2008

Are you smarter than a Kindergartner?

Apparently, I'm not. Emily brings home books every now and then that her class has put together. They usually write a sentence and draw a picture about whatever the topic is. We have fun reading it together and seeing what she and all her friends said. This week, Emily's book was titled "Oviparous Animals". We began reading through it and the first one was a penguin, then a flamingo, a crocodile, birds, etc. A thought hit me...what does oviparous mean? I don't see any sort of connection between these animals. So, I asked Emily...."what is oviparous?" She looked at me like I was dumb and said...."oviparous means to lay eggs". Oh, ok!!

Anyone who knows me well knows that I am not good at Science and History. My brother and husband even have some good stories involving me and history information, but wow...I really felt stupid this week.

2 comments:

The VM Family said...

Come on old lab partner-- give yourself more credit. I had no idea what "oviparous" meant either. And thanks...now I'll be clued in when Ella brings that book home in a few years! :)

Love, Jen

PS Thanks for being our Facebook friend!

Kevin Wright said...

Don't worry, I would have had to rack my brain trying to remember that "ovi" is "egg" in latin...all that to say I had no idea what oviparous meant either.