Thursday, May 22, 2008

Slacker

Hard to believe it's been two months since either Melissa or I have posted on this page. It's been a busy couple of months. I am going to try and get back into some personal writing. It's always been an outlet for me and I've gotten away from it. Here are a few thoughts rattling around my brain right now.

-Indiana Jones 4: I will be seeing it tomorrow at 4:10PM. I am very excited about it. The reviews have been mixed... but that is to be expected. I'm sure I'll love it. I'm really not that picky and I'm very loyal, so this should be a great 2 hours spent. I'm planning on taking Emily after I've seen it so I know what parts I'll need to cover her eyes on. We watched ‘Raiders’ together last week and she really liked it. She was a big fan of the truck scene. Haha! She loved the opening sequence too, but come on, who doesn’t love that iconic opening?

-American Idol: The right guy won, despite what Simon tried to tell America on Tuesday night. I got so mad during the show because Simon made it sound like there was such a wide gap between the two singers. I'm sorry, but there wasn't... and I felt a little justified last night when Simon said pretty much the same. I can't vote against the first guy to sing a U2 song on American Idol, can I? Even if it wasn't one of my favorite U2 songs. Maybe some future contestant will sing some Achtung Baby songs... that would be pretty cool.

I was a little annoyed at the finale because they crammed so much in and those of us who DVR’ed the show barely even heard who won before it cut off at two hours. Maybe instead of having the USC junk and the terrible singer… maybe give some more time at the end for announcing and celebrating the winner. I didn’t get any of that last night.

-Church Life: Things have been really good here. This was the first conference year since 1997 that Wheaton had an increase in average worship attendance. So we have a lot to be encouraged about. I'll spend some time in a future post talking about some of the church wide initiatives we've implemented. It's been a challenging and very fulfilling year. I'm convinced coming here to Wheaton saved my personal ministry. There were times in my last position were I seriously considered teaching high school religion or working at Toys R Us.

Thankfully, God knew what lessons I needed to learn and to see some mistakes that I should try to avoid. Once I settled into my position here, I knew that I was in my ‘sweet spot.’ Doing the kinds of things that God specifically designed me to do. I have loved it and would never seek out a staff position again. Melissa and I love Wheaton and would love to stay here for many, many years… Lord willing.

-Book and Movie Reviews: There is an application on Facebook that makes reviewing books and movies much easier than it is here on blogger. So I will no longer be posting reviews here. If you are interested in those… look me up on Facebook. Speaking of movies… there are so many this summer that I want to see! Wow. As always, I’ll probably see one or two and then hope for the best through my Blockbuster queue.

That’s all for now… have a good weekend!

3 comments:

Mary Fran Muir said...

Next year set your DVR to record 5 minutes over and you won't miss anything! :)

I am thrilled that you are Melissa are at Wheaton. Having a loving and caring pastoral family makes all the difference.

Josh H said...

Will do... I might even set it back ten minutes to make up for the inevitiable William Hung reunion tour they'll put on next year's finale. :)

Thanks for your words!

Angele Myska said...

toys r us would be lucky to have you!