Thursday, August 04, 2005

Music Never Got Saved...

I was just thinking recently about how I have changed as a Christ-follower over the course of my life… I had certain opinions as a high school and college student that have evolved and changed over the years. This will probably turn into a three or four parter...

The very first thing I think of when I reflect on how I’ve changed deals with my opinion on secular music: I remember, in high school, making fun of my Christian friends for listening to anything ‘secular.’ In fact, I remember very clearly watching a U2 video with my friend, Dusty Fecht, and making fun of Bono… making fun of the lyrics… even making fun of my friend, Dusty, who was clearly demented for watching this weird group perform.

It wasn’t really until college that I began to appreciate the fact that God could teach me lessons and truths… even from the ‘heathen side’ of the music industry. I daresay that God has revealed Himself to me more through the music of U2 then He ever did through Geoff Moore and the Distance or groups similar to them… (I’ll explain later) I remember encountering resistance when I initially started listening to various groups that didn’t sell their CD’s in the Family Bookstore.

I remember, when I was a Junior in college, being asked to turn off U2 while working the front desk at old Williams Hall at IWU, because a girl who was in the lobby had made a commitment to not listen to any secular music. It was then that I got a taste of my own ‘high school medicine.’ Christians who went out of their way to make other Christians feel bad or lesser because they hadn’t committed to the same standards of ‘holiness.’ Or worse yet, Christians who went out of their way to force other Christians to commit to their personal standards of ‘holiness.’

Here’s the thing that infuriated me most about that girl in the lobby that day: She was the one to make the commitment, right? Shouldn’t she have been the one to leave? Why punish everyone else for a commitment you made? When I fast for a day… I don’t force my family, or my co-workers, or ANYONE… to NOT eat as long as I’m not eating. I am not condemning her decision to make the commitment… that is honorable if it helps her become a better lover of God and people… but I was angry that she tried to force her commitment on ME.

Ok, I really got off on a rant about that. The main issue is that my take on music has changed drastically. Labels like ‘secular’ and ‘Christian’ really don’t mean much to me anymore. As Scott Schaeffer, worship pastor at my home church Heritage Wesleyan, said in his sermon about worship recently: “Music either honors God or it doesn’t honor God… but just a word: Music never got saved…” I loved that statement: Why do we call it ‘Christian’? It never got saved.

Mind you, there is plenty of garbage out there… plenty of it. There is good music with terribly offensive lyrics. We should avoid that. On the flip side, many of the ‘Christian’ groups are putting out music that isn’t very good, along with lyrics that aren’t even close to being thought-provoking…

I guess I’ve learned to look for the music that is authentic and thought-provoking. Some people might take offense if they heard the U2 song entitled ‘Wake Up, Dead Man.’ Here’s a sample for you:

Jesus, I'm waiting here, boss
I know you're looking out for us
But maybe your hands aren't free
Your father, he made the world in seven
He's in charge of Heaven
Will you put a word in for me

Wake up, wake up dead man
Wake up, wake up dead man

Jesus, were you just around the corner
Did you think to try and warn her
Or are you working on something new
Is there an order in all of this disorder
Is it like a tape recorder
Can we rewind it just once more

Wake up, wake up dead man
Wake up, wake up dead man

If I had heard this in high school… I would have flipped my lid. Now, I look at it and realize: This is how real people think. If you are in the midst of deep pain and hurt… an honest response is: God, where are you in all of this? Wake up! Hear me!

If you disagree with me… as a last resort, I would point you towards the Psalms: Check out Psalm 10:1 “Why, O Lord, do you stand far off? Why do you hide yourself in times of trouble?” Or how about Psalm 22:1 “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from the words of my groaning?” Statements like this are riddled throughout the Psalms. I value the honesty found there. We should just admit that sometimes we have questions. There’s no shame in that. I’ve also found out something about God: Sometimes He answers our questions... sometimes He doesn’t… but he ALWAYS hears them… and He never shies away from them… there is no question that scares Him.

That’s just one example of how listening to ‘secular’ music has helped me understand a certain truth about God. I think some ‘Christian’ musicians would be scared to write honest lyrics like that… but that’s just my opinion. Anyway… my take on music has changed drastically since high school… and I’m really, really glad. I’m not sure how much I would have gleaned from only listening to certain cheesy ‘Christian’ lyrics that aren’t always honest, authentic, or even realistic…

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Josh,

I really appreciated your entry. I read a statement from the lead singer of Switchfoot, which is now terribly hard to locate on the internet; however what Pastor Scott said reminds me of what the lead singer said, "Did Jesus die for my music? No."
I recently read a passage by St. Augustine, where he outlined

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Josh . . . I hit a few wrong keys and I had to start all over again.

Anyway, I read a thing by Augustine where he said that any nugget or statement of truth that we find in the writings of the world, we should claim as truth for ourselves, and truth from Christ, since he is the revealer of all truth, and God is the source of all wisdom. I think this is exactly what you have done with U2 lyrics.

On another note . . . It is funny that you should mention Dusty in this entry of yours, as he and I are becoming good friends at school. In fact, when our family goes down for TNT this weekend, Dusty and I are going to meet up to hang out for a while. It's a small world; that's what Dusty said when he told me his home church was Heritage and I told him that I knew you. Anyway, peace to you.

Jeannie said...

YO to Scott Hendrix! How are you, college man?

Josh, I'm a little ticked at how well you articulate something I try to explain, but end up falling flat on my face. And I'm sorry I made you turn off U2 that day at IWU - ha, ha, just kidding. I think that girl was in my unit, though. snicker.

Josh H said...

To Scott: Hey man! Thanks for your response! Thanks for the quotes/thoughts by Switchfoot and Augustine...

Tell Dusty I said hey... Everytime I go home, I write his email address on a church bulletin and then I throw it away forgetting that there was an email address on it. I'm an idiot.

To Jeannie: Your response made me laugh! Anyway, thanks for your kind words of encouragement! I have really enjoyed reading your blog as well... It's fun, isn't it?

Angele Myska said...

I loved this entry. I have always thought there were some good lyrics out there from non-Christian bands. Several weeks ago, I spied a book about finding truth in unlikely music. I was on my way out the door so I couldn't recall the exact title and your entry here reminded me to search for it on Amazon. I thought you might be interested in it as well.

The book is called "The Rock Cries Out: Finding Eternal Truth in Unlikely Music” by Steve Stockman.

While searching for this book, I found something else you'll be especially interested in, if you don't have it already: "Get Up Off Your Knees: Preaching the U2 Catalog” by Raewynne J. Whiteley.

Josh H said...

Angele... I have a book by Steve Stockman called 'Walk On' which is about the spiritual journey of U2. It was excellent... I'm sure 'The Rock Cries Out' will be a good read... let me know and I'll pick it up if it's good.

I have heard about the Preaching U2 book... I just haven't picked it up yet... maybe soon!

Thanks for your comments!