Thursday, November 03, 2005

The Apostle Paul's Optimism

My small group is studying the book of Philippians. It is one of the most optimistic books of the Bible… and it has been such a joy to look at. I really respect the apostle Paul. I want to develop the same type of attitude about difficult circumstances as he did. It would make life so much more joy-filled.

I mean, seriously… how do you go about persecuting a guy like Paul?

• You could throw him into prison and he’d just say: “Now I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel. As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ.”
• You could torture him and he’d just say: “…if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.”
• You could threaten to starve him, take his money away, strip him of all his has and he’d just say: “I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.”
• You could take the final step and tell Paul that you’re going to kill him and he’d just say: “to die is gain… I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far…”

There is really no way to discourage Paul. I really want that type of optimistic, faith-filled attitude. Think about it… it makes sense. Let’s say God was to pull a ‘Job’ on us and take everything we have away from us: Family, Health, Wealth, Possessions, Fame, Power… everything. We can have assurance that there is one thing that God will never pull away from us: The gift of grace. The gift of His Son. The gift of eternal life.

And so if God were to remove all those things from our lives… we would still have the greatest gift ever extended. We would still have hope. We could still have joy. In fact, we would have the one gift that is worth thanking God for through all eternity.

The secret of being content? Keeping your eyes fixed on Jesus. Remembering what He did for you. Clinging to the cross. Looking through the entryway of a tomb and seeing no dead body. Keeping your eyes fixed on Jesus.

It reminds me of highway driving. I was taught to always keep my eyes on the horizon in order to stay in the middle of the road. Whenever my eyes wandered to the right or left or even got caught up looking right in front of the car… I would start to drift. I think life is like that… it is so easy to allow small things to get us discouraged. If only we would keep our eyes locked on the one person that matters… we would continue to be joy-filled… we would continue to live lives of hope and peace… we would continue to serve despite the circumstances… we would continue to live as though each new day is a gift.

I want to live like that: Hopefully optimistic… Joyfully confident… Faithfully loving…

“…for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances…” (Philippians 4:11)

1 comment:

Angele Myska said...

I've been trying to read the bible starting with Genesis after hopping around reading Daniel and Ruth. I've never read Phillippians and think I'll abandon the front to back idea. Phillippians sounds like it's just what I need right now. I'm discouraged right now and your post was a nice reminder on what I should be focusing on--how do you keep doing that? It sure is hard sometimes to keep our earthly stuff from getting in the way of what awaits us. Wish I could be part of your small group!