Wednesday, July 26, 2006

My Take...

Book: a.k.a. "Lost"
Author: Jim Henderson
Summary: This was a great book that will hopefully help church people rethink the way they have been taught to do evangelism. I found this book to be very 'freeing' and very practical. Henderson encourages the church to shift their vocabulary as it concerns the unbelievers. Traditionally, we have called non-Christians 'lost.' Henderson suggests that we start calling them 'The Missing.' Even this subtle vocabulary shift can be powerful. Other practical tips and stories are included. I strongly recommend this book... it has opened my eyes to many mistakes the church has made as it relates to evangelism... and has given me hope that I can be an effective witness for Jesus Christ even by doing very small things.
Grade: A

Movie: Fun With Dick and Jane
Summary: I actually liked this movie... as far as a humorous story is concerned. I laughed out loud several times during the various attempted robberies. I know that Jim Carray is a love him or hate him type actor... but I've always liked his stuff... and he was pretty good in this movie. However, the movie wasn't strong enough that I would run out and buy it...
Grade: B-



Book: Deep Fathom
Author: James Rollins
Summary: Good book about an ancient secret at the bottom of the ocean. Good suspense. Good characters. Enjoyable book. James Rollins is becoming one of my favorite authors. His stuff reminds me of Indiana Jones... in that they are usually supernatural thrillers in an archeological type setting. I've still got about five of his books left to read and from what I understand, they just keep getting better.
Grade: B



Book: Agassi and Ecstasy
Author: Paul Bauman
Summary: Entertaining at very least. This book takes a look at the first ten years of Andre Agassi's career... and also takes a closer look into his childhood. Bauman tended to ramble on about the people that helped shape Andre's career. If I wanted to read a book about Brad Gilbert or Nick Bollettieri or Mike Agassi... I would've gone out and bought their books... but Bauman spends too much time on these people. I also found it interesting that Bauman wrote in the last chapter of the book (written in 1997) that Agassi wouldn't win any more Grand Slams and would probably retire soon. Hmmmm. Ten years and five Grand Slams later makes this guy look like a moron. Here's hoping that somebody in the Agassi family, or Agassi himself will put out an authoritized biography or autobiography sometime soon.
Grade: C

1 comment:

Angele Myska said...

I'm putting that lost book on my Christmas wish list.

We liked the dick and jane movie too...I love tea leoni in everything she's done...like most of jim carrey's stuff, particularly the not-silly stuff like 'the majestic' and 'the truman show'