Thursday, July 13, 2006

Something Old, Something New

The following is a quote from Len Sweet in the latest Relevant Magazine... it really resonated with me and I wanted to share it:


"And that brings me to a related issue: confusion between relevancy and recency. Some of the most relevant things are not the most recent, but the most ancient. Without a historical sense, or the spiritual discipline of historical context, there's confusion between keeping relevant and just keeping up. We have to be in touch with the culture but in tune with the Spirit."


To me, it's a reminder that there are certain things about Christianity that will always be relevant, regardless of how old they become. But also, there are many 'recent' things about the current Church that may seem hip and cool ... but in the end are not really all that relevant. There is tremendous wisdom in this statement from Len Sweet about how to balance the two.

1 comment:

MiKemple said...

What a great blessing you son Aaron must be to you, Melissa and Emily. Now I know why the hospital? It occurred to me that the reason was the baby but sometimes life moves so quickly I forget to think.
Thank you for sharing the Sweet quote...What an amazing God we serve. mk Love to you all!