Monday, August 14, 2006

Judge Not...

The other day, I was listening to a CD of a service from my home church, Heritage Wesleyan. Pastor John Bray was speaking about the issue of being judgemental. In one section, he provided some warning statements that might signal that I have become judgemental in my life:

1) If you see the world in black and white. -Obviously there are some things that are clearly black and white. I think John was talking about the times when we decide something is black or white without having any knowledge about it. An example that I have run into recently is the DaVinci Code. It is clearly a work of fiction that pulls quite a character assassination of the church. Most Christians just condemned it without even reading it. To me... that's judgmental and ignorant all at the same time. That's just an example... but I have to ask myself... do I tend to see people's actions as black or white... without trying to understand the grey; without trying to understand the WHY behind their actions?

2) If you tend to offer your opinion whether it is your business or not. -Sometimes I do, sometimes I do...

3) If you tend to be negative more often than you are positive. -This one hit me pretty hard... because I tend to be this way.

4) If you have an inward smile at someone else's failure. -I am shamed to say that I have done this before several times.

5) If you find confrontation to be easy. -John talked about how confrontation is needed in certain situations... but that it should never come easily to anyone. He talked about how confrontation usually brings a certain amount of pain and hurt into the other person's life... and if you find yourself liking confrontation or find it easy to do... then maybe you should check your motives and your spirit... because none of us should ever grow comfortable adding pain and hurt to another's life. Even when confrontation is sorely needed... it shouldn't come easy.

I was humbled to find that, with the exception of number five, all of these statments have been or are currently a reality in my life. God has since been working on checking my spirit when judgemental thoughts and words make their way in my head and out my mouth.


"Judge me by my size, do you? And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is." -Yoda

Sorry... I had to throw a Yoda quote in here!

1 comment:

Angele Myska said...

Great post! I think my issues lie solidly in numbers 2 and 3. I'm sorta relieved I do well with 4 and 5...5 is what my "Dude Where's My Fruit" post is about...I think the confrontation was needed but it wasn't easy or pretty...I really wrestled with it...I have yet to post my conclusions about it but will soon.

LOVE that Yoda quote and as always, your personal reflections.