Sunday, July 08, 2007

Good Ole Fashioned Update

I knew eventually it would happen. I knew that eventually I would have a week full of unexpected ministry opportunities; a week that would test my commitment to the people of this church and test my ability to remain flexible in the midst of a busy schedule. This week was that kind of week. I can’t give specifics here on a public forum… but I received two emergency phone calls that needed my immediate attention.

I always wondered how I would respond emotionally to weeks like this one. But I really feel like I was able to roll with the punches and try to minister to hurting people. It’s been interesting to see how God has equipped me specifically for this kind of ministry. I’m not sure if this will make sense: But I just feel like God has been telling me over and over since arriving here: ‘THIS is what I created you to do. Staff positions were beneficial in certain ways and you learned tons in that capacity… but THIS role is what you are best equipped for.’

I never felt ‘put out’ this week by emergency requests. It was an opportunity to minister to people and to connect with them through their pain. I only hope that I said the right things and made the right decisions. While it was a stressful week for me, it was also such a rewarding week.

I used a Transformer illustration this week that seemed to really connect with my generation. Yes, I actually showed a picture of a set of Transformers called the ‘Constructicons’ and somehow used them to illustrate the Church as a Unit or Body. It’s been very fun to try and figure out how to explain things with illustrations. Speaking of, I have an ‘appointment’ with one of my trustees and his son to see Transformers this Saturday. I also have an ‘appointment’ with one of my Sunday School teachers and his wife to see ‘Harry Potter 5’ this Sunday. I am looking forward to these times.

I am also starting to find a rhythm in sermon prep. Early in the week I try to get my study time in… reading select books, studying select passages, doing exegesis… and getting a basic outline done. Then I let it stew in my head until Friday… which is my writing day. I try to completely close off Friday from any appointments and just write it all out that day. It seems to be working for me so far.

My series on the church is concluding next week… after which I have no idea what direction I need to go. I have some ideas, but nothing concrete. I will have six weeks till September… so the question is whether I should start a six part series… or just mix and match until the fall.

I will also be officiating my first funeral this week… on Wednesday. Various people have really surrounded me to help me put this together and figure out what needs to be done on a day like this. We’ll see how it goes.

I know I promised a video walk through of the house this past week. The house just never seems to be quite in order… but I am hoping for this week. We’ll see. I will continue to post updates like this for awhile… it’s helpful for me to recap things in my own head. Just another change (of many) of direction that this blog has taken in the past three years!

4 comments:

Scott D. Hendricks said...

Thanks for sharing, Josh. Your thoughts are always cherished.

Angele Myska said...

Oh man, I am so blessed by this...I knew you would be a great shepherd given the occasion and position to step up to your full calling! rock on!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like things are going well for you there. I am happy to hear you say that you know you are called to be a PASTOR of a flock.

Chuck Whitman

Josh H said...

Chuck Whitman! How are you doing, my friend! Thanks for your comment. I miss you and our talks about classic Christian literature. I hope you are doing well and next time I'm down... you, me and Frank will have to have lunch or something!

Tell Jerry I said 'hello!'