Saturday, September 22, 2007

Disney Trip 3

On our second full day at Disney… we went to the MGM Studios… soon to be changed to the Disney Hollywood Studios. We got there right at opening… and while Emily went to get some character autographs… I ran and got Fastpasses for Melissa’s favorite ride on Disney property: Rock N Roller coaster.


Then we went on the Great Movie Ride (which STILL needs to be updated in a major way… for a C- grade) and Voyage of the Little Mermaid (an A- grade)… which Emily loved! Going back to the Great Movie Ride… they really, really need to get some people for this ride that are actually good actors. Both our ‘hosts’ were terrible. I would recommend taking the live bit out all together… but oh well.

The only attraction that I took in for the first time was the Lights, Motors, Action Stunt Show. This was a very fun… and very LOUD! show. It was nicely done and had some great effects and stunts. I still didn’t like it as much as the Indiana Jones Show… but that’s just me being sentimental. I would give the show a B+.

A few of us saw the Muppet Show 3D. This is still my favorite 3D show at Disney. It’s witty, funny and entertaining. This earns a strong A in my book. We also took in the Back Lot Tour… with Catastrophe Canyon. That was pretty cool, but the rest of the ride is fairly lame now. And our tour guide was terrible… and she breathed very heavy into the microphone between sentences. It sounded like she was dying. This gets a C.


We went back to the hotel in the afternoon. Emily, Melissa and mom went to the ‘baseball pool’ while the rest of us hung out. I think we watched a Cardinal game on the computer, if I remember right. I can’t remember if they won or not… not that it matters. They stink. It was nice to get a little break from the heat. It was low 90’s all week… but the humidity was what would drain on you.

For supper, we ate at a place called the Sci Fi Dine In, which was actually pretty cool. We all sat in a car that had little tables in front of us. All the cars in the restaurant were pointed towards a large screen that was showing clips of commercials and films from the 1950’s. Some of the commercials were hilarious, like the one that promoted a full body containment suit that everyone would eventually wear in the coming Nuclear Age. We actually saw a lot of really hilarious bad ideas that, thankfully, never panned out. I had a tomato based soup for an appetizer and a steak with a weird marinade. The food wasn’t spectacular… but the ambiance was cool. I also had my favorite dessert of the trip at this restaurant: A hot fudge Sundae that was oh so good.


After dinner, Jeff, Melissa and I rode both the Rock ‘N Roller coaster and the Tower of Terror and used fastpasses for both. There’s nothing like riding two of the most popular rides at Disney back to back in under a half an hour. We finished the night by going to Fantasmic! This was Emily’s first chance to see the show and I think she really liked it. Especially when the Princesses come out on the boats. It is a very cool show… lots of fire effects… characters… and stunts. (A grade)

No comments: