Thursday, February 17, 2005

Shotgun - Volume Three

Here we go again...


1) Melissa and I saw the movie ‘Cellular’ this past week. We recommend it! Very fast paced. It almost reminded me of ‘Speed.’ (Obviously… completely different story) But you just feel like the proponents of the movie are always in danger until the very end. We really liked this movie! I would give it an 8.5/10.

(With a 10 being ‘Empire Strikes Back’ or ‘Braveheart’… and a 1 being a very terrible movie, for the love of everything good and holy, please DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WATCHING IT!)

2) I just love midwest winters/springs… On Monday, I played some tennis in warm weather… today, I’m scraping off frost from my windshield in cold weather! Weird… but I don’t ever want to live anywhere else.

3) Sunday night I watched the grammys. Mostly because I knew that U2 was going to perform. They played the song: Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own… which is one of my favorites from their new album. For some reason, they chose to use an annoying either organ or choir to help suppliment the song. I didn’t like it. They played that song much better on Saturday night Live a few months back. Anyway… they were nominated for three grammys… and they won three grammys. Yeah!

4) I’m not sure if I’ve shared this or not… but this past year, I made the decision to start selling all of my Star Wars stuff on ebay. I’ve already completed two different sales! I know… it’s shocking to many of you… but it was time.

5) Watch the National Hockey League closely. This may be the last time that it’s considered one of the major sports of America. May this be a lesson to baseball: You guys will not be able to recover from another strike either. So, be thinking about that in the next few years.

6) I got to see Danny and Tanna Janes today! They were on vacation and one of their stops was St. Louis. So they stopped in to see all of us. They got to spend all afternoon with Emily... and even got to see Melissa at the end of her school day! They showed me pictures of the new building in Kalamazoo. It looks incredible. I am really excited for them! Boy, it was good to see them! I will always remember that couple with love and respect. Danny was a great pastor to work for and learn from… and he was always so supportive of me. Tanna is Tanna. She loved Melissa and Emily as if they were her own. And she talked sports with me! It was a great surprise to see them!

7) Emily knows how to plug in Nintendo controllers now. I guess Melissa saw her plug both controllers into the console and pretend to be playing. The next step: teaching her how to play a two player game… so that her and I can starting beating games together: We can rule the gaming world as Father and Daughter.

8) We are gearing up to start our Spring small groups. This has been one of the most important parts of ministry at SPWC. Small groups have really helped our congregation to start developing healthy relationships. Last fall, we saw several our of newer families get plugged in because of relationships formed at our small groups. Even Melissa and I were able to make some really close friends because of the small group we hosted. Next Sunday, we will be starting again: Our topic: The Jesus I Never Knew, by Phillip Yancey. I think this will be a neat study.

9) Pitchers and catchers have reported already for many major league teams… Cards pitchers and catchers will officially report tomorrow and have their first workout on Saturday. It’s a good time of year. Maybe even the most wonderful time of the year.

10) About half the media has, once again, decided that the Cubs will run away with the central division. It may surprise you to hear that I am glad to see that. It was those types of reports that motivated a much better balanced Cardinal team to play well and take the division. Maybe these reports will just continue to motivate our current team. We’ll see. It should be an good year.

That’s all for now. I might actually have a legit ‘one-topic, article-like’ blog next week. But we’ll see.

No comments: