Monday, July 25, 2005

7 Down...

Today is my 7th wedding anniversary to my bride, Melissa Jane. It is hard for me to believe that it’s already been seven years. It just seems like yesterday that we were holding hands at the altar… getting ready to wander out into the great unknown called life. It just seems like a couple of hours ago that we were at the hospital holding our little Emily for the first time.

I constantly thank God for the gift that He gave me in this beautiful woman. Melissa is my best friend. I love talking with her. I love hanging out with her. I love sharing memories with her. She is a constant support. She is willing to confront me when my attitude isn’t right. She is willing to encourage me when I allow life to discourage me. She is there for me in all times and in all situations.

She is a wonderful mother. Emily adores Melissa. Melissa adores Emily. They get along great. Melissa is so good at giving Emily positive reinforcement. She always seeks moments to try and teach Emily something new. She does her best to make sure that Emily is safe and is in an edifying environment.

When I was younger, I remember hearing people say things like: I love my spouse more now than the day we got married. I always wanted to know what that would be like. Now I know. It seems like we barely knew each other when we got married compared to now. She knows immediately what I am thinking based on facial expressions and non-verbals. She knows what will bring me joy or what will anger me… sometimes before I know! It’s intimacy on a whole new level… something I’ve never experienced with anyone else!

She is so willing to be involved in my life. She’s made it a point to keep track and (more importantly) root for the Cardinals. She knows most of the Star Wars characters. She actually encourages my fetish for Disneyworld vacations. She goes to U2 concerts with me. She knows my hobbies and interests and makes it a point to know enough to be able to talk with me about those interests.

I really respect Melissa as well. She is a genuine person… what you see is what you get. She is the same at home as she is at church as she is at work. I respect her as a teacher. She always seems to be highly regarded by her superiors and well-liked by most of her students. I respect that she went to work when we moved here… in order to make ends meet. She is willing to sacrifice to make my life easier… and I am hoping to reverse that a little bit in the next year or two.

Most importantly: She loves God. She desires to know Him. She loves to worship Him. She longs to be like Him. She wants to understand and follow His will and plan for our lives.

To Melissa: Thank you for seven awesome years. Thank you for your friendship. Thank you for helping me create this little family that we share together. Thank you for allowing me to be myself around you. Thank you for loving me despite my weaknesses. Thank you for your constant support and encouragement. I love you. More than words could really express… but I shouldn’t use that as an excuse for not telling you more often. I love you, my gorgeous bride… here’s to many, many more years of being married to my best friend!

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

-Sniff- Pardon me while I go grab a big box of kleenex right now....man, that was beautiful! I miss hanging out with your wife - we hit that Portage Mall more times than should be allowed, ha. It's so rare to find a friend you feel like you can really be yourself around, but that is Melissa. Love ya, girl! Happy Anniversary, you two.