Monday, June 05, 2006

No Longer Comfortable With Izzy Time

I have been holding it in... I can't hold it in any longer.

I am no longer comfortable with Jason Isringhausen as the Cardinals closer.

This isn't anything new for me. I'm not just complaining because he looked like a timid little school boy tonight and blew the lead. Just ask Melissa, I have been upset with Izzy since early in the year.

Whenever he is warming up with one or two run lead, I cring. Heck, I'm no longer positive that he can pin down many three run leads.

Here are some stats for you:

He has appeared in 25 games. He has walked at least one man in 16 of those games. That means that in 64% of the games he has played in... he has walked at least one man. Those are unacceptable numbers for a top notch closer... and probably not acceptable for most teams in the majors.

He has pitched in about 23 innings... he was walked 23 men. That is horrible.

He has pitched in about 23 innings... he allowed 18 hits AND 23 walks. That is worse than horrible. That is pathetic.

Sure, he has 17 saves... but eventually those numbers will catch up to you... as they have recently. His defense has saved him several times. His three run leads that turn into one run leads have saved him several times.

He says that he is comfortable pitching with runners on base... so he chooses his matchups. I think that if you are getting paid closer money... you should have the mindset that you can get anybody out. Obviously, where the runners are might dictate whether you walk a guy to set up a double play... but when you have nobody on and two outs and you pitch around a guy (as he has done on several occasions this year)... that just says that you are weak and that somebody else should be pitching the ninth.

When Pujols goes down and your offense scores you seven runs against the only team that is even close to you in your division right now... you find a way to win that game. Period. End of story. Hallelujah. Holy crap. Where's the Tylenol?

Izzy stinks. That is all. Good day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with everything you said....however I was livid with the Cards fans last night. Livid and Disappointed. They were booing Izzy like crazy last night. I understand that part of the booing was to send a message to take him out of the game, and being the ninth, most of 'em were drunk, but i feel the fans should be more supportive by just keepin their mouths shut or cheerin "lets go cardinals". Your thoughts?

-Jocelyn

Josh H said...

Joc -

Yeah... I hear you. I've got mixed feelings about booing. While I understand why the fans did it last night, I also know that if I were a struggling major league pitcher that just blew the lead, the last thing that I would want to hear is my home town fans booing me. I've already got to face my teammates... booing hometown fans are just throwing salt into the wound.

On the other hand, I'll be honest, even sober... if I was at the game last night... there's a good chance that I would have booed after that performance. But that's the ugly competitive side coming out of me and I'm not saying that it would've been appropriate for me to respond that way by any means.

Looking at it from a different perspective... LaRussa's gotta figure out a way to get Izzy out of his funk without giving away more games! I just don't know how you do that without smashing his confidence...

Baseball... what a beautiful game. What a beautifully heart wrenching game. I love it.