Thursday, November 02, 2006

My Take...

DVD: Lost, Season One
Summary: Wow. In my mind, this show rivals the X-Files for mystery and mythology. It has excellent character development. The character flashbacks are a twist that really helps move the show forward. The island is a character unto itself. Each episode that answers one question you had ususally makes you ask about three more. I'm up to about 24 different questions right now. I should make a list. The cliffhanger leaves you with pretty much no idea what the heck is going on. The death of Boone proves that no main characters are safe in this show... I am hooked!
Grade: A+

Book: Mastering Outreach and Evangelism
Authors: Ratz, Tillapaugh and Augsburger
Summary: The only chapter that I found helpful in this book was the one on Assimilation written by Ratz. (It's the very last chapter of the book.) Having three authors from three different churches write on evangelism might seem like a good idea... but editors of this book choose three extreme situations that won't relate to the majority of the pastors that read this book. (In my humble opinion) Combine that with the fact that this was written 1990 and you have an outdated, irrelevant book. Not great.
Grade: C-

Book: Christianity Through the Centuries
Author: Earle Cairns
Summery: My church history book from college... I finally finished it. I've recently grown very interested in learning more about my Christian roots... with a particular interest in the early post-Acts church from about 100AD to 500AD or so. This book was very good... it just took forever to get it completely read. Long, but very rewarding. If you are interested in church history... this is a good book to pick up. Next up for me... to pick up a few books that deal extensively with the early church...
Grade: A-

2 comments:

Carrie said...

LOST is the best show going on TV right now. Unfortunately, it is going on hiatus after Wednesday's episode until February.

Jeannie said...

Ah, welcome to the world of LOST. I like to get lost in LOST -- it's such a well-written show. I didn't get into in until season 2, and now I'm addicted. Some interesting statements about faith and forgiveness, especially in season 2.