Thursday, February 01, 2007

Disney World Trip: Day Four

Okay, okay… it’s time to pick up where I left off months ago. I was motivated to write these immediately after my trip… but I got distracted by a broken laptop and various other things. The further away I get from the trip… the harder it is to getting around to finish these.


We started this day by going to the Magic Kingdom. We rode a bunch of rides in Tommorrowland. Emily’s favorite ride of the trip was Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin. It’s a ride based on Pixar’s Toy Story… and you ride through various scenes trying to shoot various targets that get you points. It’s one of my favorites as well. Good times.

Call me nostalgic or just plain crazy… but one of my very favorite attractions at the Magic Kingdom is a little jewel called the ‘Carousel of Progress.’ It follows a family as it progresses through the different technological innovations starting with the turn of the century and running it’s way through the 20’s, 40’s, etc. Very interesting show. It makes you realize just how many of the things we have grown to depend on have really only been around for 100 years or so. Not very long in the grand scheme of things.

The meal that I was most looking forward to for Emily’s sake was scheduled for lunch on this day. We ate lunch inside of Cinderella’s castle, in a restaurant called ‘Cinderella’s Royal Table.’ I’ll admit that I was disappointed with the food… but the ambiance more than made up for the food. They started by letting the families get a picture taken with Cinderella. Then we went up to the restaurant where three or four Disney princesses were making their rounds. Emily had an absolute blast getting her picture taken with and getting the autographs of all these princesses. Quick question though: Does Mary Poppins really count as a Disney princess? Really? It’s an honest question.


The evening of Day Four was the first time that we made our way to MGM Studios… which turns out to have been a mistake. We should have gone earlier in the week and we should have gone during one of the mornings. At this point, we were all pretty exhausted and we missed many cool attractions at MGM studios. It’s Melissa’s favorite park and we ended up missing most of her favorite attractions… which I felt bad about.

We ate dinner at a little place called ‘50’s Prime Time Café.’ It sorted of reminded me of ‘Ed Debevic’s’ in Chicago. The waiters and waitresses are not necessarily trained to be polite and nice. They are trained to banter with the guests. At the Café, the chef is our ‘Mom’ and the wait staff is our ‘Cousin.’ Everybody is family at the Prime Time Café. Our waitress played the part well and told many of us to get our elbows off the table, to say please and eat our vegetables. I had a shrimp cocktail for an appetizer; a sirloin steak for my entrée; and a ice cream brownie for dessert. It was a great experience and one of my favorite meals of the week. I would definitely plan to go back.


If I remember right, we also took in the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular this evening. I know some people will disagree with me on this… but that show DOES NOT GET OLD to me. I love it and I hope they keep it for a long time. Emily liked it as she is aware of who Indiana Jones is because of various video games that I have. It was a good day 4!

3 comments:

The VM Family said...

Hi Josh and Melissa,
Yay! Now that we are official Bloggers, I can message you non-annomyously. As always, love the pictures of your family. We went to Disneyworld 5 years ago (just Dave and I) and it was our best vacation ever. Your summaries bring back the memories. I bet it's even more fun with kids.
Love, Jen

Josh H said...

Hey Jen (and Dave)!

Thanks for the comment! I will add you to my sidebar today... Melissa spelled out your last name for me, so if it's wrong... it's her fault!

Yeah, I'll tell ya, taking Emily was a lot of fun because I watched every show and experienced every attraction through her eyes. So it's like going for your first time all over again! Great fun!

Take care!

Jeannie said...

Mary Poppins is NOT a Disney Princess. I think she would be offended by the very idea.