Thursday, March 29, 2007

Disney Trip: Day Six

Alright... two of my friends: Jesse and his family; Matt and his wife... have recently gone to Disney World and they are putting me to shame because they are immediately getting their stuff posted and here I am still trying to finish up my trip report some seven months later. Here's our sixth day and tomorrow I will post our seventh day and final day...





We went to Magic Kingdom in the morning. Oddly, it wasn’t that busy when we got there in mid-morning. Melissa and I rode Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain… I love the detail and scope of both rides… both are examples of how Disney takes a traditional thrill ride and makes it infinitely better. Good stuff. Emily, Aaron and the grandparents rode the Liberty Belle Riverboat… which is a neat little ride around Tom Sawyer Island… which I STILL have not been on yet. I was hoping to get Emily over to there all trip… but we just ran out of time!



Our lunch was spent at Tony’s Town Square Restaurant. This was a cool little Italian restaurant right on Main Street. The theme was based off of movie Lady and the Tramp in the restaurant where Lady and Tramp shared a bowl of spaghetti. There was a cool little fountain in the middle of the restaurant that Emily liked. Food was alright, ambiance was great. If I remember right, dessert wasn’t very good. But I hate fancy and rich flavored desserts. Just give me a brownie and some ice cream and I’m happy.



After spending yet another afternoon napping and swimming at the hotel, we went back to MGM Studios to see what we could see and try to take advantage of the evening extra magic hours. On this particular night, we took in my favorite 3D show: The Muppets. I know this show doesn’t have quite the advanced effects that other WDW 3D shows have… but man, it makes me laugh… and it’s nostalgic, because I absolutely loved the Muppet Show when I was a kid.

We also took in The Little Mermaid, which Emily STILL talks about. She loved the bubbles and the special effects that made you feel like you were ‘under the sea’ but she hated the HUGE Ursula that party crashes the show. We got her through it by letting her call Ursula a big ole cranky butt. I know, probably not the best thing to let her say… but we were desperate.

We also rode the Great Movie Ride. I made my feelings about this ride public on my last trip report posted back in October of 2004. I love the various scenes… but I feel like ride needs a serious update or overhaul. I also think it would be better if it wasn’t so dependant on how good the cast members are at acting. I don’t think I’ve enjoyed the cast members on this ride since my trip back in high school.

Jim and Frances took Emily and Aaron back to the hotel, while Melissa and I stayed a little later to try and ride a few of our favorites. We found out that they don’t distribute fast passes during extra magic hours… which I should have just assumed. So, we got in the 40 minute stay by line for Rock ‘N Roller Coaster. Within a few minutes, we were notified that the ride was having technical difficulties and they were shutting it down for the night. Very disappointing… this is Melissa’s favorite ride at DisneyWorld. Tower of Terror was about a 50 minute wait… and while I love that ride, I don’t love it enough to wait 50 minutes at the end of a long day at the end of a long trip. So we found an ice cream place still open… bought some ice creams… and sat down and spent some nice quality time together. It was a great way to end the trip…

No comments: