Thursday, March 22, 2007

Podcast Review: Part 1

For Christmas, I was given an iPod Nano… 2 Gigs of listening pleasure. Currently, it is completely full: 231 songs… mostly U2; 35 podcasts which are good for 21 hours of listening time. It has been great to find interesting podcasts to listen to on a regular basis. I enjoy them more than listening to talk radio… probably because most podcasts cover a specific topic or theme. So I thought I’d write a quick blog “reviewing” the various podcasts that I’ve tried.

• Podcasted sermons: First of all, I’ve subscribed to various churches who broadcast their services and sermons over the internet through iTunes. None them have stuck, however. I find that those episodes usually just sit in my queue and never get listened to. I get worship services on CD from my home church, Heritage Wesleyan, and that’s good enough for me. I may subscribe to some of these in the future… but I do not currently have subscriptions to any churches.

• NES (Nintendo Entertainment System) Retrocast: I found this podcast early on and really enjoyed the earlier episodes. They had one section of the show that was pretty fun to listen to… it was called ‘Going, Going, Gone.’ They would look on ebay and see what Nintendo related items were selling. There was some weird stuff being sold for a lot of money! I ended up canceling this podcast because their episodes became very sporadic and when they did broadcast… it would be two hour long episodes! In addition, the discussion started to drift more and more from Nintendo topics to unrelated banter. The last show I listened to was, at best, 10 percent Nintendo related content. Ladies and gentlemen, in a two hour episode, that got very boring in a hurry. (I know some of you are saying… listening to two hours of NES related material would be boring enough… well, to each their own!)

• Cardinals: The Baseball Podcast: This little podcast isn’t great… but it’s the only Cardinal related podcast that I could find (until I get my own show up and going someday.) There is only one host… which is a pet-peeve of mine. I would never do a pod-cast alone… it is so much better when there’s someone around to bounce ideas, humor and arguments off of. I would love to do a Cardinals related podcast with my brother someday. Anyway… this guy broadcasts episodes about every nine or ten days… and the episodes usually run about ten minutes or less. I will unsubscribe from this podcast as soon as I find a better Cardinals podcast.

• The @U2 Podcast: A podcast all about U2. The first few episodes weren’t great… but the show has evolved and is getting better and better. The last episode was all about the Joshua Tree (2007 is the 20th anniversary) and they had a round table discussion going through the Joshua Tree track by track. It was very interesting to listen to. They also released a pod-cast all about ‘Pop’ because, believe it or not, 2007 is the 10th anniversary of THAT album. Very nicely done… they used the same concept with round table track by track discussion. It’s always interesting to hear what people think of various U2 songs. It’s also fun to hear various listener stories in their feedback segment.

Stay tuned for part two where I’ll review the rest of my favorite podcasts!

No comments: