Saturday, March 18, 2006

If: Part 1

I have had a book sitting on my desk at work now for a year… specifically for blogging purposes. It’s a book called ‘IF’ and it’s full of ‘if’ questions… basically designed to get people talking to each other. I thought I’d work my way through the book on the weeks where I didn’t want to really write about anything particularly serious. So here goes:

If you were to be granted one wish, what would it be?
Geez. I could take the cheap way out with my first wish and ask for unlimited wishes. My second thought is to ask that everybody would come to know Christ… but then I’d be taking away everyone’s free will, which God Himself chose not to do… so I guess I could modify it to wish for all to have a good opportunity to choose Christ, I don’t know. If you throw all the Miss America answers out (like World Peace and no more poverty) I guess I would have to choose one from the following… That I could get tennis lessons from Andre Agassi, that I would be debt free, that I could play in a baseball game at Busch stadium, that more Star Wars movies would be made, that the Cards would win the World Series, that the Cubs would go another 100 years without winning one, that I could sing a song with U2… so on and so forth.

If you could spend one whole night alone with anyone in the world who is currently alive, who would you select?
Easy… my wife.

If you could spend one whole night alone with anyone in history, who would you choose?
Still my wife…

If you could physically transport yourself to any place in the world at this moment, where would you go?
Depends on whether I can take people with me. If I am with Melissa and Emily… I would want to go to DisneyWorld. If it’s just me, I’d probably want to go wherever in Florida the Cardinals are playing their Spring Training game tomorrow. Honestly, though… I really wouldn’t want to go anywhere cool without my family to share it with.

If you could have lived through any war in history (without actually fighting in it), which would it be?
Hard question just because I think it would difficult to live through any war, especially if you are close to it, but I’ll take a shot at answering anyway… I am fascinated by World War II, but I would probably have to choose the Revolutionary War. Just to see what happened to cement this country’s independence would highly interesting to me.

If you could eliminate any one type of insect permanently from the earth, what would you get rid of?
Without even thinking about it, the mosquito.

If you had to eliminate a single type of animal forevermore, which would you choose?
Because of my experiences with these foul creatures in Kalamazoo, I would have to say bats. (Long story short: Melissa and I woke up on at least seven occasions with a baby fruit bat (sometimes two) swooping around our bedroom ceiling. It was terrible. That is one thing that I do not miss about the parsonage at Kalamazoo. Since moving, I have not had to deal with bats, thank the good Lord above.

So, how about you? What would be your answers to some of the above ‘if’ questions?

4 comments:

Steve said...

If I could have one wish? I'd wish to be a "successful" church planter.

If I could spend the night with anyone living? My wife

If I could spend the night with anyone in history? My wife...unless it was an entire night in a pub having a conversation, then it would be Saul of Tarsus...There's a brain I'd love to pick.

If I could physically transport myself anywhere in the world? Scotland.

If I had to live through any war in history? I have lived through 3. Vietnam (too young to have had an opinion.) Desert Storm and the Iraq war. But if I had to pick an "historical" war to have lived through it would have been world WW II. I am amazed at the sacrifices my grandparents' generation made to get our country through that time in history.

If I could eliminate any type of insect? thought technically not an insect, I'd eliminate spiders. They scare me to death.

If I could eliminate any animal? The water moccasin/Cottonmouth. I'm not a fan of any snake, but this one is particularly nasty and lives in my back yard.

Angele Myska said...

One wish...probably to get rid of certain types of evil...I could live with a certain amount of white collar crimes but the stuff that turns my stomach like human trafficking, child molestation, human experimenting (aka Hitler)...I know evil serves it's purposes but there are some things that I could definitely do without.

Jocelyn said...

here's a question for ya...what would you be willing to do for a million bucks?

Josh H said...

Not play the game Survivor... I'll tell you that right now.

I would say anything short of sin, but I don't do heights and I can't eat fear factor type stuff either.

So basically, I'll have to become a millionaire by selling off my Star Wars toys one by one on amazon.com.