Wednesday, March 08, 2006

A Visit to New Busch

My dad, my brother and I went down to the new Busch stadium last Friday afternoon just to get a look at the construction progress. My brother will be entering the Air Force next week and won't get an opportunity to personally see Busch for awhile... so I was glad he was able get down there before he left. Here are some of the more interesting pictures that I was able to snap.



(This is just a quick shot to show just how close the stadium is to the highway. I think I read somewhere that it's only about 40 feet away. I kind of like it... as it gives the stadium an urban feel. I think this is where the players will enter and park.)




(This is a shot from a neighboring parking lot rooftop. I zoomed in to try and get the infield outline. This kind of shows a panaramic of the stadium behind home plate.)




(This isn't a great shot as there are plenty of distractions and wires in the way... but I wanted a picture of the stadium and the arch together.)




(Here's a neat 'bottom to top' shot of one of the corners at the new Busch. I love the lettering at the top and the brick facade is really sharp looking.)




(This is a picture of the 'grand' entryway... which is supposed to pay homage to a few different past/present structures throughout St. Louis. I just think it's cool looking and wanted to include it here.)



A couple of thoughts struck me as I was down there:

1) It is going to be a beautiful park! While I was sort of sad to see the last stadium go, this stadium will be so cool that I don't think I'll really miss the old one after a couple of games in this new and improved one.

2) I have no idea how they are going to be ready for opening day. There still seemed to be tons of things left to be done before they can even consider having fans in there. I know they'll be ready... but it just boggles my mind.

3) Do we really have to wait a WHOLE MONTH for baseball season to start. Geez!

3 comments:

Angele Myska said...

Wow, I had no idea they were so far along on the new Busch. Can't wait to see a game there!

Matt said...

Josh,

So is there ant truth at the rumor that they are looking for volunteers to come in and lay the new sod?

Matt

Josh H said...

Matt - I haven't heard that rumor. I wouldn't be surprised if they had some kind of money making scheme... you know, where they would make YOU pay $50 to lay a piece of sod FOR them.