Tuesday, April 25, 2006

If: Part 2

If: Part 2

This is part two of an ongoing series of going through a book of ‘if’ questions. By the time I’m done… it will probably be a 75 parter. Basically, the ‘IF’ book comes out when I have nothing to write about in particular… or when I am having trouble organizing my thoughts enough to post something intelligible. Here’s a few more for you:

If you could have an elegant dinner alone with anyone presently alive, whether you know them or not, who would you want it to be?

It would have to be someone I am comfortable with… because elegant dinners would require proper knowledge of which utensils to use at each segment of the dinner. It would also require me to get all dressed up… which I absolutely hate to do. So, I would want the dinner to be with someone who, at very least, I am already comfortable to be with. I would have to choose Melissa… because neither of us get into the fancy schmancy stuff… and we could spend the meal making fun of the whole ‘elegant’ scene! Sounds like a fun night to me!

If you could altar one physical characteristic of your mate, what would you change?

Folks, I am just writing them down as I get to them… I swear I ain’t making these up… and I’m too much of a completist to just skip questions. So, here goes my answer. I am assuming that by physical characteristic… that would mean anything connected to her body, inside and out. So… here’s the physical trait that I would change about Melissa: She has a blood disorder… and I don’t know how to spell it… Factor Five Liodin… or something like that. It makes her susceptible to blood clots. I would remove that from her life. It is a constant stress in several different ways… and that is the one physical trait that I would change about my wife.

If you could dine alone with anyone from any period in history which person would it be?

Easy. Jesus. If you say that the answer can’t be Jesus, I would probably choose John (as in John the Beloved…). If you say I can’t choose anyone from the Bible, I’d probably go with St. Augustine. If you say I can’t choose anyone from a Christian perspective… I’d probably go with George Lucas or Walt Disney. And I would prefer to stay away from any time of elegant dining, thank you very much.

If you could, in retrospect, change one thing about your childhood, what would it be?

What do they mean by childhood? Do they mean elementary age or lower? Do they mean high school graduation or lower? WHAT DO THEY MEAN? I guess if I could change one thing about grade six and lower… it would be that I wish I could go back and tell myself to take better care of my Star Wars toys… and I’d ask that those toys NOT be sold in a yard sale. If it includes my high school days… my changes would clearly be about five of the six girls that I dated and about three girls that I had crushes on. I had a major crush on one girl for about three years… and it was a colossal waste of time and energy. I wish I could go back and tell myself to not get so stressed out about girls… and that I wasn’t even going to meet the girl of my dreams till college anyway. I’m probably overthinking these questions… but I suppose God used all those girls to teach me different lessons and prepare my heart for Melissa… so maybe I should just keep everything the way it was, but my first instinct is to change around my dating and infatuations.

If you could have any room in the world become your bedroom from now on, which room would you choose?

Pre-Melissa dream bedroom would be some kind of a Star Wars theme… which would, I’ll admit, probably include a full sized poster of Princess Leia with her slave outfit on. Yes, I was a child of the 80’s. Yes, I was one of those boys who had a crush on Princess Leia. No, I would not go back and change that crush, thanks anyway.

Bedroom of choice now: Whichever Melissa wants. I may be a major nerd, but I’m not a stupid nerd. (Maybe she’ll even make her very first blogger comment ever… and tell us all what her room of choice would be to become our permanent bedroom…)


How about you? What would be your answers to some of the above ‘if’ questions?

3 comments:

Angele Myska said...

Gotta think about my answers for a bit before posting...just wanted to say you're not overthinking the questions (silly questions or not)...you're merely thinking about them as completely as possible:) I like that about you.

TheGaffords said...

What's up Josh! Just wanted to leave a little reply to let you know i'm keeping up with you. I do have to admit that my Star Wars reading has been lacking since the old days in the dorm, but I just can't stop telling the Chris Rayment "Lasagna" story every time I think of it. You're the best!

David

Angele Myska said...

elegant dinner with:

Martha Stewart...I know the food and decor would be perfect and maybe get some great tips

physical characteristic I'd alter in my mate:

his constant back pain (congenital condition that nothing much can be done about)

dinner alone with:

Mary, Martha, and Lazarus...for so many reasons...because I'm more of a Martha, want to be a Mary, and want to know how cool it was to have Jesus as a friend (not just figuratively or spiritually, but physically! wow!)...also to hear first hand about one of Jesus' coolest miracles, raising Laz from the dead.

what I'd change about childhood:

not withdrawing into my own world when my mom married my stepdad...I wasted alot of time and energy and didn't get to have much of a relationship with them...didn't allow my stepdad to father me either

any room in the world as my bedroom:

what a strange question...any decor theme would probably change over the years so I'd pick some really big 100+ year old house with half a dozen rooms, beatifully remodeled and restored of course...original woodwork, all that stuff...that's my dream bedroom, a big old one with lots of wood and antiques.