Thursday, May 11, 2006

Book and Movie Review

Lord of War: Rated R... for violent images, strong language, and sexual situations. I'll be honest, I have a hard time recommending Rated R movies for various reasons. Braveheart, Matrix, Shawkshank Redemption are just a few exceptions to the rule. Well, it's time to add another. I loved this movie. It's a look at the life of an arms dealer. Nicholas Cage was great... as was his supporting cast. The story was well written and held my interest the entire movie. Even the beginning credits were interesting to watch as it followed the 'life of a bullet' all the while "For What It's Worth" by Buffalo Springfield plays in the background. I do not remember any blatant nudity... but there is very strong language and violence... just so you are warned. On the whole, this film is engaging, entertaining, and timely. 9.7/10


Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller: It's hard to describe this book. I loved it... it was funny and honest and insightful. It's definitely a postmodern book. It doesn't offer any easy solutions to life and faith... which is probably why I like it so much. The chapter on the author and his friends setting up a Confessional in the middle of their college campus was worth the price of the book all by itself. Very fun and quick read. 9.2/10


That's all for now!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tony and I enjoyed Lord of War as well. However, I wasn't a fan of Cage's recurring words "It's not our war." (i think it was) I recommend Beyond Borders and Constant Gardener. I've heard a lot of good things about Blue Like Jazz from friends. It'll be my next read.

-Jocelyn

Josh H said...

Thanks Jocelyn... I actually rented Constant Gardener today based off of your recommendation. Haven't seen 'Beyond Borders' either. I'll put it on my to rent list.

Let me know how you liked 'Blue Like Jazz.'