Monday, August 20, 2007

Wheaton Update

I figure it’s time for another update… it’s been a long, long time since putting one up here. Things are fantastic here in Wheaton. This ministry position continues to be a good fit and a blessing for my family. I can only go on what I hear, but the church seems to be happy with me as well.

Since my last update, I have officiated my first funeral, made my first clergy jail visit, served my first Sunday morning communion, finished my first sermon series, started my second sermon series, taught my first membership class, hosted my first parsonage open house, and facilitated my first pre-marital counseling session.

In August, I started a seven part sermon series called: ‘The God Who…’ Titles include: The God who is always there; The God whose yoke is easy; The God who santifies; The God who forgives; The God who is Triune; The God who is Love; The God Who is Coming Back. I can’t begin to express how enjoyable it has been to think and pray on various topics. It has been so much fun for me to take creative license in a worship service.

The Lord is amazing as it comes to sermon prep. He works differently every week. Last week, writing the sermon came very hard and slow for me… yet it turned out to be, in my estimation one of my best that I’ve written since coming here. The fascinating thing is that He gives as I need. Some weeks are busier than others… but He always provides in due time.

Yesterday was a tremendous day. We received two brand new members… both of which started coming in late May, early June. I know numbers don’t matter a whole lot, but we probably had close to 120 in service yesterday… and we had several regular families not in church with us. Many people feel as though we could have upwards of 140 in services when things settle down after Labor day. We shall see. That would be exciting. All I know is that I saw about 8 new people with us yesterday and about 25 people who are ‘newer’.

I have a quick funny story. As many of you probably know: The Cubs have taken the first two games against the Cardinals and have finally gotten themselves into first place. My tech guy and I had a discussion yesterday about whether to keep the screen down during my sermon… or to raise it up… which can be distracting at times. So I told him to find a background graphic and insert my sermon title in the slide… just so he could leave the screen down. I thought that was the end of it.

I get up to preach and there is a rippling of laughter in the congregation. I haven’t said anything funny… so I’m starting to wonder what’s going on. Come to find out that the tech guy had superimposed my sermon title comfortably within the ‘C’ of the Cubs emblem. Booooo! But then again… touché.

Anyway… this opportunity continues to be a blessing. I love what I do… and I sometimes wonder what took me so long to figure out that I would actually really enjoy a lead pastor role. God has been very good to me and my family.

2 comments:

Scott D. Hendricks said...

Glad to hear it!

Jeffrey said...

Just for the record. You never posted pictures of your house.

It doesn't effect me any, because I've seen it. But what about all those, whom you promised pictures, that are dying to see your freaking great house?

Good to see you this weekend. Can't wait for Florida!