Friday, October 27, 2006

Game Four

-This was the best game of the series so far if you are simply a fan of the game. Back and forth it went there at the end. This was the first game where both starting pitchers pitched at about the same level... no one blew it open. Fun to watch for everyone else... high blood pressure game for me. Gut wrenching game for a Tigers fan.
-In my mind, this was the Tigers game to win. Their hitting was better than the Cards. Their pitching was better than the Cards. The two areas where the Cards were better: defense and timely hitting... which is much different than just hitting. The Tigers pretty much gave the Cardinals five outs in the 7th inning. It must have been brutal to watch.
-I know I sound like a broken record... but Encarnacion is terrible. He couldn't have had a poorer at-bat when he pinch hit late in the game.
-I didn't get a chance to watch the Tigers play much this year... so I can't say this with confidence... but it sure seems like they were uncomfortable defending small ball. Defense on bunts and dribblers have been brutal for them. I imagine that American League ball doesn't necessitate small ball as much as in the National League. To be honest though, I'd rather watch a team manufacture a run like that than see a home run. So last night's game was very interesting to me.
-Class Acts: Jim Leyland: Love this guy. I want nothing but the best for him except in this case, of course. Sean Casey: Always been a tough out for us... plays the game with respect for his team and his opponent. Curtis Granderson: Could have blamed the rain and the slick grass but decided to dodge excuses and assign the blame to himself. (Didn't have to do it, I know how much rain we've gotten, I imagine the field was very slick.)
-Verlander vs. Weaver: My heart says that the Cards will win tonight by a score of 6-4. My head says that Detroit will win by a score of 6-1. I don't think Verlander will be bad two times in a row. I think Weaver will give us about the same type of outing. (To be honest, I wouldn't even be going with Weaver... I'd probably go with Reyes again after his game one performance... but that's why they pay LaRussa the big bucks.)

1 comment:

Ken said...

Congrats, Josh.

Cards were great.

Tigers stunk.

I'm not saying you didn't beat us, but the Tigers sure helped the Cards win.

Can you say "fundamental defensive collapse"? Gee whiz...

Enjoy the celebration...

Ken
kendepeal@allcom.net