Tuesday, February 14, 2006

The Introverted Pastor: Part 3 of 3

As an introverted pastor, I can tell you that my preaching style has changed drastically over the seven years I’ve been in ministry and the ten or so years that I've been preaching. In college, when I was still wanting to be like John Maxwell… I would assemble an outline and throw in as many quotes and illustrations as I could. I would preach from that outline. The first few times I did this, it worked like a charm. I practiced preaching the outline until I pretty much had it memorized. I moved around the stage a lot, I preached from the outline, and did my best to make it look like I was a natural public speaker… and it worked… for awhile.

When I finally got into full time ministry in Kalamazoo, the lead pastor there gave me opportunities to preach about once a month. It was much more difficult in a full time setting to have each sermon prepared with enough time to practice it the 10 or so times I needed to actually memorize it. But I continued on… but without it being memorized, I felt much less confident and much more susceptible to nerves. (This introvert is no fan of public speaking when he might actually have to come up with some stuff on the spot.) In college, I got nervous… but I also had fun because I had enough time to prepare (memorize) and be confident enough to not let my nerves get the best of me. My first year in Kalamazoo was, well, the exact opposite.

I remember one particular Sunday night, I was preaching on 2 Corinthians 12, the passage where Paul says ‘in my weakness, I am made strong.” I remember being so nervous that night that I repeated many of my sentences. It wasn’t even a well written outline. My transitions from point to point were terrible because I couldn’t think clearly enough go from one point to another without just stopping the first point cold turkey… and starting the second point at a 100 miles an hour. I remember being so disappointed in myself that night and so discouraged. Something also clicked in the back of my mind about trying to figure out a way that would take my nerves out of my preaching equation.

I honestly don’t ever remember being taught about manuscripting in college… or if it was mentioned, I just ignored it because I wanted to preach like the greats who didn’t even have notes in front of them. At some point in my second year of Kalamazoo, I decided to try writing out my whole sermons… from start to finish. I was a little nervous the first time I tried this… but not for the reasons you might guess. I wasn’t the least bit nervous about talking in front of people that night… but I was nervous because I was giving up on my dream of preaching like a John Maxwell or Adrian Despree. A manuscript is basically a handcuff that keeps you pretty attached to the pulpit… so forget about looking like a natural speaker… forget about doing cool things like walking the aisleways.

As I prepared and preached that first message… I realized a couple of crucial things: First, I was much less nervous about my delivery… and more concerned with the actual message. In other words, all my creative energy went into my study and writing, rather than worrying about whether I was going to remember to say such and such on stage. As I compared my manuscripted sermons with my outlined sermons… there was no question about which ones had the most depth… the ones that were manuscripted. Second, my transitions were much smoother than ever before. Third, I found that people understood me better because I was forced to slow down… and I got rid of some of my annoying verbal hang-ups. (Um, you know, ah, er… ) I actually had fun again in my preaching… which was important to me. Fourth, I finally realized that it’s ok to play to my strengths in preaching. As a sports fan, I’ve heard the phrase ‘You just have to stay within your talents… or stay within yourself.’ or something like that. Basically, it means, you don’t have to do too much as long as you are doing the best you can with what’s been given to you. Study and writing are directly within my gift package… natural stage presence and public speaking are not. Changing to a manuscript preacher placed me directly in the middle of my gift package, which is a good thing.

Over time, I have become comfortable with the fact that I will never preach like one of the famous preachers. People who hear me speak now… they won’t see a dynamic public speaker… but they WILL hear a guy who loves to study and communicate God’s truth. I’m probably not the type of preacher who is going to get people to cry all over the place… but the people who hear me WILL hear a message that is God centered. I will probably never be invited to some huge conference to preach to a large crowd… but I AM (with God’s help) able to feed a local church congregation with the message of the gospel. I have long since put to bed the notion that I might be the best preacher ever… but in the process, I have picked up the desire to be the best preacher that I can be… and develop the preaching gifts that God has given me as well as I can.

What does an introverted preacher look like? In my case, it looks like a guy who is trying to stay within his God given spiritual gift package and lean on God’s strength to do something that he never would have been able to do on his own…

2 comments:

Steve said...

Josh,

I have just a couple of thoughts on manuscript preaching. I don't know if they'll be of any benefit to you or anyone else, but here's my two cents worth.

I believe that you’re right on and I personally think that preaching from a manuscript is the best way to preach for several reasons:
 It keeps me from getting lazy. It’s too easy to create an outline to preach from and then think up (or look up) a couple of illustrations and then “let it fly” on Sunday morning. This works out OK if you are gifted at public speaking and enjoy getting up in front of people. (That would be the extrovert minister, which I happen to be) But it doesn’t put up adequate “guard rails” to keep you from wandering off track once you start. A manuscript keeps you more focused on the task/message at hand.
 It forces me to know more about what I am preaching. I have to research harder and dig deeper to write the manuscript in advance. This forces me to study the Word and other supporting materials more in depth
 It helps me to “memorize” the material. I write a manuscript each week, but I don’t generally stay tied to it when I preach. In other words, I don’t stay behind the pulpit and read. But in writing out my manuscript during the week the message tends to get “embedded” in my brain so that I am more familiar and more comfortable with it on Sunday morning.
 Manuscripting gives me a good indication of the length of my message. I’ve been writing sermons for almost 14 years now and I have learned that for me, nine pages of typed manuscript equals about 35 minutes of preaching. Six pages averages around 20 to 25 minutes. It’s good to know this because then I have an indication of how things will go time wise in a worship service and I can make adjustments to the non-essential elements of the service (i.e. announcements) and still give full attention to the sermon.

I don’t if you’ve found any of that to be true for you, but it certainly is for me. I have a couple of other thoughts on preaching from a manuscript that you might want to consider.
 Just because you write a manuscript you don’t have to be tied to it during the sermon. You get to see me preach every week and I think you would agree that I tend to pace the stage like a caged tiger, but I am still preaching from a manuscript
 I would recommend practicing the sermon you are going to preach, even if you have written a manuscript. You can never be too prepared. The more you go over the material the more comfortable you will be in front of the congregation when you present it
 Don’t assume that great speakers like John Maxwell and Adrian Despres don’t write manuscripts. I know for a fact that Maxwell does, or at least used to. But typically, when you and I got to see him preach it was a sermon he had preached many, many times in his travels and he basically had the whole thing memorized. That gave him the freedom to play “communicator” and not have to worry about being a preacher.

God may not have given you the same gift mix as Maxwell and company, but your presentation of the Word of God is as good and as impacting as anything Maxwell has ever preached. In fact, your messages may have a greater impact because, as a man who studies hard and dives into the Word deep, you tend to mine greater riches than a man who is merely a communicator ever will.

Keep preaching the Word and you will always have an impact on the people of God.

Steve

Josh H said...

Steve...

Good stuff about manuscripting! Especially about the guard rails and knowing the length of your sermon in advance.

As I read over your last three thoughts... I went back over my original post and realized that I made some blanket statements about manuscripting that I totally meant to apply only to my situation and preferences... let me try to clear some of these up:

1) I know that not all manuscript preachers are tied to the pulpit... and I know that a manuscript does not HAVE to serve as a handcuff (as you mentioned, you are a great example of this)... I choose to allow it to be a handcuff for me because I don't want my nerves to get in the way of the message, as they have in the past. Plus, I feel much more confident and calm leading up to the event knowing that everything that I want to say will be right in front of me the whole time. I won't have to worry about brain freeze during a crucial part of the message. This has really helped me enjoy the preaching event much more in the last five or six years.

2) Just so you don't think I walk up with my manuscript without practicing... I always practice multiple times. (I just don't practice on Sunday morning as my voice barely gets through two services... adding a practice run would endanger the second service... though, in the fall, when the Rams are playing, people probably wouldn't care... hehe)

This past week, I practiced the sermon three times out-loud... and that's not even counting the two times I read through the whole thing for flow and editing checks.

3) I knew that Maxwell manuscripted his stuff... I have a few of his tape series and his manuscripts come with it. I didn't mean to make it seem like he or Adrian or 'the greats' just spoke off the cuff or didn't manuscript... but I wanted to point out how my mind had changed:

While both Maxwell and I may manuscript the whole thing out... the biggest difference is that public speaking doesn't bother him (the extrovert) near as much as it bothers me (the introvert)... so his mind isn't so apt to freeze... he better suited to walking around and he isn't chained to his notes.

I, on the other hand, can practice three times... maybe get a firm grasp of the material 'memory-wise' and still not feel comfortable moving around because my head is ready to freeze immediately as soon as I get in front of people.

What changed in my mind was that I realized that people do not necessarily need a preacher that walks around the stage to get enjoy good Biblical message. It was a trade-off: I would gain clearer sentences, better flow, no verbal hang-ups, better quality and depth, smoothing transistions and rediscovering the joy of preaching... all for the price of walking around the stage.

It seems a small price to pay... for all the return.

Sorry that I wasn't altogether clear on some of these things.

Thanks for your encouragement! And thanks for being willing to share the pulpit with an introvert (not to be confused with a pervert...)

Peace out, dawg.