Thursday, November 08, 2007

Simple Church

I've been reading a book called 'Simple Church' and I gotta say... this stuff really makes sense. It echoes other books that I've been reading, like Andy Stanley and Reggie Joiner's book called 'Seven Effective Practices of Ministry.' The book suggests that the discipleship process shouldn't be complex... and that the ministries of the church really shouldn't be complex.

One passage of the Stanley/Joiner book really stands out to me: “Many of our staff had previously been involved with churches that were program-heavy, and we know how quickly things could grow out of control. So we became tenacious about staying simple. In fact, you might be surprised at some of the things we do not do. For example, we don’t have a Christian school, midweek services, men and women’s ministries, a children’s choir, adult Sunday school, Easter or Christmas Pageants, or a recreation ministry.”

The book suggests that churches that do too much are perhaps making a lot of noise, but aren't making any kind of an impact. It's very intriguing stuff. They took surveys and did studies of declining churches and pitted them against growing churches… and the results they found were staggering. The growing churches were the ones that had a simple process of discipleship… who clearly communicated that process to the people… and who leveraged all their energy, time and resources towards accomplishing that process. If a ministry did not fit the criteria of their process… they don’t consider doing it. They only do things that will compliment and add to their chosen process of discipleship.

It’s a fascinating way of doing church… mostly because I’m so used to the opposite. I’m used to being involved in program after program. Admittedly, I’ve started program after program… without asking the question: Does this compliment the mission of the church? Does this compliment the process? And unfortunately, there have been times where I couldn’t ask that question because there was no given process or mission to shoot for. In fact, I’ve worked in churches that Reggie Joiner could call: ADD churches. They have an inability to focus on ANYTHING for any length of time!

Our church here in Wheaton has just taken a Natural Church Development Survey... and we found that our limiting factor is Effective Structures. Some places of the church are over-structured… some places are under-structured. The church has had a vision or mission statement… but it’s pretty cumbersome and nobody really knows what it is. I am excited because I think ‘Simple Church’ will come in really handy in helping us move forward in identifying our process for discipleship.

We will begin really diagnosing things in the coming months… but this book fell in my lap at exactly the right time. It has made me ask some difficult questions of my own ministry paradigm. Why do we do what we do? What is the purpose of the church? How do we move people into spiritual maturity? It’s challenging, exciting, scary and intimidating all wrapped up into one. But I’m finding that that’s where God wants me to be… more times than not… in over my head.

Here’s to a simple church that can make a deeper and greater impact for the kingdom of God!

4 comments:

Jeannie said...

Amen and amen, Josh.

Being at a larger-end church now with 700+ sometimes I wonder if we feel like we have to have programs to look healthy and "happening"

Why is that the test? I guess because we are human and we think busy = important or more=better. Not so. Not so.

Ken said...

Josh, I drop in on your blog once in awhile, but rarely comment. This post, however, begged a response.

I agree with you... churches are too busy. The very thing we're trying to do - connect people to Christ - often does something very different. It connects them to the "machine" of ministry.

When you consider that we're often trying to connect families, the problems are then compounded. We have a student ministry, a men's ministry, a women's ministry, a small group ministry, etc., etc. We end up pulling the family APART three or four nights a week, which is often ON TOP OF the already-busy-schedule they have between work and school.

I'm a fan of ministry, and I love being a full-time pastor. But I agree with your other commentor... "Busy doesn't always equal important, and more doesn't always equal better."

Thanks for the post. I'll be digging up that book...

Bill Reichart said...

We just reading Simple church last spring and it revolutionized the way we thought and did church. It was one of the best books I've read this year. But one interesting insight as we have applied it is that church should and can be simple for those in the church. But for me and the other staff who are involved intimately in the design and the process - it is nothing simple, but rather it can be very complex and a lot of hard work to create a simple church.

bill from ProvocativeChurch

Josh H said...

Hey all... thanks for your comments!

Bill... thanks for the insight... I am certainly finding that to be true here as well. It is such a large shift in thinking that actually helping the church get simple again is full of all kinds of complexities. Kind of a paradox... hehe.